Date:      Thu, 19 Jul 2001 00:30:12 -0600
From:      Irwan Hadi <irwanhadi@phxby.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Ground Station

Our university's electrical engineering department is designing a mini
satellite to be launched. For this satellite of course we need a ground
station to control the satellite. In the original blue plan, the ground station is
designed to use a SUN Sparc Station with SunOS. But of course it is very risky
to use an old Sparc Station to be the ground station of the satellite, since
if the terminal crash, we can say bye bye to the thousands of dollars
satellite.

As right now, the ground station hasn't been built, is it possible if we use
FreeBSD in this project to be the ground station O/S ? because it has some
similarities with SunOS (the same UFS filesystem for example) ? How about the
reability of FreeBSD in the super critical environment like this as the O/S
mustn't crash or hang at all ? Does anyone has any suggestion in building the
ground station then (hardware, security, networking) ?

Thank you in advance for your reply. I really appreciate that.