Date:      Sat, 21 Feb 1998 14:42:53 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <robert@cyrus.watson.org>
To:        "David E. Tweten" <tweten@frihet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Find, Rm, and Root's Crontab

I have actually found that the best and most enjoyable solution to
/tmp-cleaning is to use an MFS-based /tmp.  Cleaned every boot, performs
well for temporary files, lives in swap, etc.  I would like a nice
age-based removal procedure for files in /tmp, but have not seen a good
one around.

On Sat, 21 Feb 1998, David E. Tweten wrote:

> I'm being overwhelmed by exmh "#" files, so I investigated why they haven't
> seemed to go away on another machine since it was upgraded from Freebsd 1.1.5
> (!) to the latest Stable.  The answer is a very paranoid sounding and not
> very informative set of comment lines in /etc/daily.
>
> My next step was a search of the FreeBSD security e-mail archives.  I don't
> seem to get along well enough with the mail archive search engine to be able
> to make it show an entire thread.  It did find Chris Layne's forward of the
> original message pointing out that find and rm in /etc/daily constitute s
> security hole, given the weaknesses of each.  The search engine didn't tell
> me anything about any decision as to what should be done.
>
> The original Linux poster's solution is offensive to me (sings all, dances
> all, deletes all, and written in Pearl).  Potential solutions that appeal
> more to my simpler-is-better sensibilities are: fixing find not to get
> confused, and writing (in C!) an rm subset look-alike that won't follow
> symbolic links.  A search of the Gnats data base failed to turn up any
> evidence of a choice having been made.
>
> So, what's the plan?  Are we going to do anything beyond distributing
> /etc/daily with junk file elimination disabled?  If so, what?  And can I help?
> --
> David E. Tweten           |  2047-bit PGP fingerprint:  |  tweten@frihet.com
> 12141 Atrium Drive        |   E9 59 E7 5C 6B 88 B8 90   |     tweten@and.com
> Saratoga, CA  95070-3162  |   65 30 2A A4 A0 BC 49 AE   |     (408) 446-4131
> Those who make good products sell products; those who don't, sell solutions.

> with "unsubscribe security" in the body of the message

  Robert N Watson

Carnegie Mellon University http://www.cmu.edu/
SafePort Network Services  http://www.safeport.com/
robert@fledge.watson.org   http://www.watson.org/~robert/