Date:      14 Feb 2002 15:51:59 -0500
From:      Lowell Gilbert <lowell@world.std.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: crontab entries need a CR/LF at the end

Matt of the Long Red Hair <mattp@conundrum.com> writes:

> I'm not sure if this is a bug or not, but his observations are at least valid.
> It seems bug-like to me, though probably not a very high priority one.

The manual says:

           The entire command portion of the line, up to a newline or % char-
     acter, will be executed by /bin/sh or by the shell specified in the SHELL
     variable of the cronfile.

so it sounds to me like it's performing as documented.  So while there
may be good arguments for changing the behaviour, it's certainly not a
bug.  I wouldn't support changing it, by the way; the definition of a
line as "one or more characters ending in a newline character" is
typical in Unix, and changing that for crontab would probably create
more problems than it solves.