Date:      Mon, 26 Mar 2001 08:39:42 -0700
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@scsiguy.com>
To:        Alexey Koptsevich <ak@astro.ioffe.rssi.ru>
Cc:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: error messages, Adaptec aic7896 & IBM DDYS-T18350M

>Hello,
>
>I have a problem with my IBM DDYS-T18350M discs and Adaptec aic7896
>controller. I attach error messages (they appeared this night without
>further repetitions), as well as output of 'dmesg'. There are several
>things that are not clear for me here and I would be grateful for help if
>it is possible:
>
>- Which errors may produce such messages? bus error, drive bad blocks,
>drive conrtoller errors, all of them, something else?

The errors indicate that the drive disconnected after receiving a
command and never reselected us to complete it.  My guess is that
this is a firmware bug.  S96H is, I believe, the latest available
for this drive.  Call IBM for details.

>- At which conditions automatic reassignment occur? Are special settings
>needed to enable it?

You'll have to look at the drive manual for details on this as the
rules vary between drive vendors and sometimes between models from
the same vendor.  Typically, a block is scheduled for remap after
a certain number of read retries fail or CRC is required to reconstruct
the sector.  If the data was successfully recovered by a retried read
or a write to that block occurs, the block is remapped.

--
Justin