Date:      Sat, 25 Nov 2000 17:58:43 -0800 (PST)
From:      mike@hyperreal.org
To:        dima@unixfreak.org
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: can't chflags/mv current kernel

Dima Dorfman wrote:
> securelevel >= 1.  See init(8) for details.

Ah, ok, thanks.
This definitely should go in the handbook.
But, following the advice of James Lim,

# sysctl -w kern.securelevel=-1
kern.securelevel: 2
sysctl: kern.securelevel: Operation not permitted

Seems like changing it after the boot is not an option.

> How did you get to single user mode?  Did you get there by booting the
> kernel with the -s flag, or by using shutdown?  In case of the former,
> it should work.  In case of the latter, you should try the former.

The latter. Trying the former, I get a different failure:

# sysctl -w kern.securelevel=-1
kern.securelevel: -1 -> -1
# make install
chflags noschg /kernel
chflags: /kernel: Read-only file system
*** Error code 1 (ignored)
mv /kernel /kernel.old
mv: rename /kernel to /kernel.old: Read-only file system
*** Error code 1

> For the sake of the archives, setting kern_securelevel to -1 in
> /etc/rc.conf should also work if you can't get to single user mode (no
> console access).  Just remember to change it back when you're done.

OK, I rebooted normally, edited rc.conf, rebooted again (shutdown -r now),
and the 'make install' proceeded without error. Edited rc.conf again,
rebooted, and all is well. Thank you for the prompt advice!

-M.