Date:      Fri, 26 Feb 1999 15:20:05 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        jmscott@ainet.com (Joseph M. Scott)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ssh2 port install problem

Joseph M. Scott wrote,

> 	I'm running 3.1-RELEASE and I've cvsup'ed the ports this morning.
> When I go to /usr/ports/security/ssh2 and do a make install it does fine
> through the compile, on the install part I end up with :
>
> mv -f /usr/local/man/man8/sshd.8 /usr/local/man/man8/sshd.old.8
> (cd /usr/local/man/man8 && ln -s sshd2.8 sshd.8)
> ===>   Generating temporary packing list
> /bin/mv -f /usr/local/man/man1/ssh.1.gz /usr/local/man/man1/ssh.old.1.gz
> mv: rename /usr/local/man/man1/ssh.1.gz to
> /usr/local/man/man1/ssh.old.1.gz: No such file or directory
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop.
>

> 	The actuall ssh and sshd are installed, but it looks like the man
> pages didn't make it :-)

Hmmm... I have /usr/local/man/man1/ssh.1.gz. They don't exist on your
system?

Anyway, you're not the first to report this. I think the problem might
be a misunderstanding of what 'mv -f' means to FreeBSD. It does not
work like 'rm -f,' which suppresses nearly all error conditions. For
example, if there is no file 'foo' in the pwd,

[139:~] rm -f foo
[140:~] mv -f foo bar
mv: rename foo to bar: No such file or directory

rm exits on a 0, and mv bails out. The Makefile for ssh2 should check
for existence before trying to move the manpages. You should go into
your Makefile and either comment out or delete the offending lines. It
shouldn't break anything. MHO.

HTH.