Date:      Wed, 23 Feb 2005 23:12:46 -0800
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Chris Hodgins" <chodgins@cis.strath.ac.uk>
Cc:        markzero <mark@darklogik.org>
Subject:   RE: DSL modem recommendation

Sorry.  I'm just ranting.  USB ethernet is an abomination and I cannot
forgive the morons in the industry that did away with RS232 serial
ports in favor of USB.  Espically since I have tons of equipment I
service that have serial ports on them.  Ever have the pleasure of
working with one of those USB-to-serial port adapter POSs?

Seriously, if what the PC industry had done was when USB came out, just
completely did away with the keyboard port and the PS/2 mouse port, and
tied those interrupts to the USB controller, so that the new PC
motherboards
required USB mice and keyboards, then I would not be so disgusted with
it.  Instead, they just layered it into the PC architecture.  I have
PCs here that when you put 2 nics in them, you lose one of the on-board
serial ports, and this is without even a sound chip in the system.

Ted