Date:      Thu, 6 Jun 2002 22:54:15 +0200
From:      Richard =?utf-8?B?xIxlcGFz?= <rch@richard.eu.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Delete Key

On Thu Jun  6 20:22:01 2002 +0100 William Palfreman wrote:

<..>

>> As for the <DEL> issue, the following works for me:
>>
>> $ bindkey "^?" delete-char
>
>Works for me when I run csh - I never use it as a shell.  What about in
>sh or bash?

        As far as I know sh doesn't have that.  Bash have extensive info
manual where is described 'bind' command.  Though in my humble opinion
most people prefer adding something like this below to ~/.inputrc as
this works in other "readline" programms as well:

"\e[3~": delete-char

What is actual character for Delete key depends on TERM - you can make it
conditional as some terms have chosen to use ^? for backspace.

Don't ask me why readline is unable to use ncurses for that.

--
      ☻ Ričardas Čepas ☺