Date:      Fri, 31 Jul 1998 13:07:38 -0500
From:      dan early <dan.early@mail.sprint.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   SCSI bus question

--openmail-part-03378821-00000001

I have run into (sorry - another) problem in trying to get a
full-featured version of Free BSD up & running. Before you reach hasty
conclusions, I am a regular UNIX adminer. I have installed Solarix,
Irix, Linux and probably a few other flavors over the past few years. I
experimented with Linux until I got tired of things that sort of worked,
maybe. A friend got me interested in BSD & I got the CD distribution.

I built an SMP dual Pentium II 266Mhz system with an onboard Adaptec
SCSI controller, 128 Meg memory and a Quantum Fireball 6.4 Gig
Ultra-wide SCSI drive. This has the 50 pin wide flat cable. A cd drive
is also chained on the bus. This did cost a few bucks & I've been
anxiously trying to get this installed over the past week. After getting
past several h/w config. problems, now BSD will not see the Quantum
drive. I've been looking forward to experimenting with the BSD SMP
kernal.

On the Adaptec SCSI bios utility, the drive shows up as device 0 on
channel A. The CD drive (a Toshiba SCSI 32X thing) is device 4. The
place where I bought this stuff put DOS on the drive to show me that the
drive was out there. I did a low level format on the drive through the
SCSI bios utility, so the computer sees the drive.

When I start the BSD installation from CD, it sees no drives.

Help! I've invested a considerable amount of time & money in this thing,
and I really want to get it going.

Do I have to give up, take the SCSI drive back, and get an IDE drive for
this to work? I had a similar problem the last time I installed BSD. It
was the first time I ever built a Pentium system, and I unwittingly set
the drive up as a secondary master instead of the primary. Do I need a
different type of SCSI drive? I'm at a loss.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Dan Early
dan.early@mail.sprint.com
      or