Date:      Thu, 24 Jan 2002 06:16:30 -0500
From:      Jud <jud@operamail.com>
To:        swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Cooling Athlon / Linux App

1/24/2002 2:25:21 AM, swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen) wrote:

>Jud <jud@operamail.com> writes:
>
>> I think if you read the VCool documentation, you'll find that the
theory,
>> at least, is that the Athlon is unable to reach idle mode unless its
>> system bus is disconnected, even when it would otherwise make
>> eminent sense for the CPU to do so because the system isn't busy.
>> VCool purports to set the "Bus Disconnect Enable" bit and so allow
the
>> CPU to go into idle mode at appropriate times.
>
>That quoted phrase doesn't appear in google *freebsd* archive except
in
>this thread.  If you think that's important and different from the
>CPU_SUSP_HLT mentioned in another msg, please ask about that
on -stable
>or -current or -hackers or -hardware (?); maybe they've missed
>something.  I doubt it, but you seem to have physical evidence of it.

I actually don't think it's (supposed to be) any different than
CPU_SUSP_HLT, and I'm a bit mystified as to why VCool seems to
make a difference on my W2K system.  I didn't know about
CPU_SUSP_HLT before, so I'll put that in the kernel and see how it
works.

>(For the thermal paste, get a piece of hard plastic with a smooth
straight
>edge just a bit wider than the chip and spread it real even but real
>thin.  I've put it only on the chip the few times I've done it, but I'm
>thinking that it would be better to spread it only on the heat sink both
>because it is probably rougher and easier to clean the over-spread.
I'm
>guessing that putting it on both surfaces is more apt to leave bubbles.)

I used a razor blade, but the plastic sounds easier to handle.  Problems
with the thermal paste application may have been caused by my
manipulating the rather large heatsink and fan combination so as to get
past some nearby capacitors on the motherboard, and then get the @#
$%^*! clip seated - I did some wiggling, which may have introduced
bubbles.  Hopefully, practice will make perfect.

Jud