Date:      Thu, 8 Feb 2001 13:26:10 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        Phelip Cray <phelipc@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NICs

On Thu, Feb 08, 2001 at 10:35:39AM -0800, Phelip Cray wrote:

> Well, I am trying to install a NIC in my BSD box.
>
> As I whole bounch of them and I know most of them
> don't really work I have been sticking each one in my
> pc, booting and then doing an ifconfig -a .

For ISA NIC's try booting into the visual or CLI kernel config
and use the probe function to try detecting it. At this point
you can tweak I/O, DMA, memory, and IRQ as needed.

Once running rather than "ifconifg -a" use "dmesg | more" and look
for your card(s).

If you have a bunch of PCI NIC's I'd just throw all in the machine
at once.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net