Date:      Wed, 12 Apr 2000 14:41:44 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@freebsd.org>, arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: "buildig release" knob in make world/release

On Wed, 12 Apr 2000, Warner Losh wrote:

> In message <9189.955552615@zippy.cdrom.com> "Jordan K. Hubbard" writes:
> : I agree that there should be a knob, but I see it as a make.conf
> : knob rather than a release knob since most people playing with this
> : stuff build from sources rather than install snapshots.
>
> Call it SANITY_CHECKING.  Have it be a number.  0 == RELEASE, 1 ==
> DEVELOPMENT, 2 == development of risky things, etc.

	Wouldn't it be easier to set the value of SANITY_CHECKING equal to
"DEVELOPMENT" rather than have to remember some kind of code? Also,
someone else suggested that "PRODUCTION" is a better definition than
"RELEASE", and I agree with that sentiment.

Doug
--
Excess on occasion is exhilarating.  It prevents moderation from
acquiring the deadening effect of a habit.