Date:      Mon, 8 Jul 1996 08:31:43 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Tim Vanderhoek <hoek@freenet.hamilton.on.ca>
To:        Derek Law <derekl@earthlink.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: i have a question

On Sun, 7 Jul 1996, Derek Law wrote:

> I have a question about freebsd.  I am interested in using it on my
> computer (Pentium 75, 24 MB RAM, 850 MB HDD).  Here is my question:  Can I
> use freebsd and keep and continue to use my current MS-DOS/WIN 3.1/WIN95
> operating systems on it?  Do I have to reformat my HDD and make additional
> partitions on it?  Can I run all of my current DOS/WINDOWS programs if I
> get it?  Is there any way to uninstall it if I don't like it?

In order...

Yes.  See the file at the other end of
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/2.1.0-RELEASE/INSTALL.  If you wait a
little while, you should soon be able to install 2.1.5-RELEASE.

No...with conditions.  If you split a DOS partition with Fips, it would
be ....unwise....  to read the partition with FreeBSD.  `mount_msdos' in
FreeBSD has bugs that are particularly likely to show up when reading DOS
partitions that have been fips'd.  These bugs are being fixed, but for
the moment, `mount_msdos' can be unreliable...ie. it can destroy your data.

Yes, but not necessarily from FreeBSD.  Windows and DOS emulation exist.
For text only programs, PCEMU works well (emulates an XT).

Yes.  Run `fdisk /mbr' from DOS to remove the Boot Selector.  You can the
just reformat the FBSD partition for DOS (use DOS's fdisk again w/ format
d:).  If you used Fips to split a partition, you can probably just use
Fips's undo disk, but I'd like someone else from the list to confirm that
this won't cause damage...

60-70 columns per line, please.

--
Outnumbered?  Maybe.  Outspoken?  Never!
tIM...HOEk