Date:      Mon, 21 Aug 2000 08:17:38 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Matt Thomas <cdt4668@bellsouth.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Kernel traps (was: FreeBSD 4.1-STABLE is about as stable as windows98)

On Sunday, 20 August 2000 at 14:21:24 -0400, Matt Thomas wrote:
> On  Saturday, August 19, 2000 9:55 PM, Greg Lehey wrote:
>> On Saturday, 19 August 2000 at 14:43:50 -0400, Matt Thomas wrote:
>>> Hello All,
>>>
>>> I have been having a problem for quite some time now with FreeBSD
>>> bombing out with a Page Fault 12 error in the kernel.  I have been
>>> reading the list for over a year now and have noticed in the past
>>> few months a few people mention the same problem.  All I have read
>>> is that it deals with a network overflow in the kernel and it is
>>> fixed.
>>
>> This statement doesn't make it clear that you understand what a "page
>> fault error" really is.  There are multiple possible reasons.
>>
>>> I am writing this to say it is indeed not fixed.
>>
>> Which bug?
>>
>>> I have noticed the problem since 4.1-RC3 and still do this very day
>>> am having the page fault and reboot on a 4.1-STABLE cvsup'd
>>> yesterday.  I wake up and my computer is sitting there not booted up
>>> waiting for me to say yes to write to the boot record and it is
>>> getting quite annoying.
>>
>> "Yes to write to the boot record"?  What is that? That doesn't sound
>> like a bug in FreeBSD.
>>
>>> I cannot keep a BSD system up for only 2 days when my 4.0-STABLE
>>> went 100 days uptime no problem.  Someone PLEASE fix this bug.
>>
>> It would be nice to know which bug you're talking about.
>>
>>> I cvsup and make kernels every day hoping it will get rid of this
>>> problem but alas it doesn't.  Page Fault error 12 is kicking my ass
>>> and I have seen other people post this problem buy nothing has come
>>> about of it.  Thanks for your time, please fix my BSD, this is
>>> getting quite annoying.
>>
>> If you have problems with the system crashing, we're interested.  But
>> you need to give a few details.  The first thing we need to see is a
>> backtrace from a dump.  Refer to the online handbook for details on
>> how to do that.
>
> Hey Greg, this was the error that I was recieving..
>
> Fatal Trap 12: Page Fault While In Kernel Mode
> Fault Virtual Address                   =0x8
> Fault Code                              =Supervisor Read, Page Not Present
> Instruction Pointer                     =0x8:;0xc018c370
> Stack Pointer                           =0x10:0xxc470ee3c
> Frame Pointer                           =0x10:0xc470ee44
> Code Segment                            =Base 0x0, Limit 0xfffff,Type 0x1b
> Processor Eflags                        =Interrupt Enabled,Resume,IOPL=0
> Current Process                         =171 (Ping)
> Interrupt Mask                          =
> Trap Number                             =12
> Panic:Page Fault

This tells you that you had a trap 12, and that you were running a
ping (not Ping) process.  Nothing more.

> One gentleman just explained that it is a problem with DMA and the
> VIA chipset.

Based on this flimsy evidence, he can't possibly have known that.

> The motherboard that I was using was a VIA chipset motherboard so
> this makes complete sense to me.  I have moved the box to a
> different motherboard/processor and all seems well so far.  I assume
> the problem does lie in the VIA chipset.

No, the problem may be triggered by the VIA chipset, but it's not
caused by it.

> I'm just gonna go get a new mboard to bring my server back up to a
> faster processor.  Thank you everyone for the help that I have
> recieved in determing that this was a hardware related issue.
> Sounds like the problem is aware of and is being worked on, but for
> the time being I'm still gonna chuck this VIA motherboard out the
> door.

That's a workaround.  It's not a solution.  I explained above how to
proceed to a solution.

Greg