Date:      Fri, 21 Jul 2000 09:34:17 -0700
From:      "Dylan A. Loomis" <dylan@1stup.com>
To:        Otter <otterr@telocity.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Exabyte DAT dilemma

On Fri, Jul 21, 2000 at 07:29:21AM +0000, Otter wrote:
> I recently picked up an Exabyte FS10G. I know it's an 8mm drive that came
> with a 112m tape. Exabyte has no mention of it on their web site and they
> haven't replied to any of my emails asking them to define what it is, or
> maybe give me a comparable model number so I can use this with my FreeBSD
> and/or Solaris boxen. Does anyone have any info on this? Right now, it's
> in an external case and my FreeBSD machine has no external SCSI device. I
> thought about taking it apart and trying to mount it internally, but
> wasn't sure how that would go... I figured it would at least show up as
> something in dmesg. I'm wondering what my limits are on the max size for
> tapes so I know what to buy (if I can use something other than 112m) and
> also some model info because Solaris will require me to know what it is so
> I can modify things accordingly for that drive. Any tips? TIA.
> -Otter

Otter,

Its an 8mm DAT drive it will only take a 112M tape.  Putting it on
a SCSI bus on your BSD box should work just fine, it will show up as an
sa device (scsi sequential access) as long as you have scbus and sa in
your kernel config.  And of course your SCSI card is working and in your
config as well.

Also this tape drive has already been used under the Amanda backup system
<http://www.amanda.org/>.  According to tapetype here some stats on this
drive:

-------------- BEGIN INCLUDE --------------
From: John Ferrari

Add this one to the list!  Took 2 days to output!

define tapetype EXB-FS10G {
    comment "just produced by tapetype program"
    length 4449 mbytes
    filemark 111 kbytes
    speed 483 kbytes
}

--John
-------------- END INCLUDE --------------

The above was pulled from http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~sdossick/amanda/

Sony lists the QG112M as the tape media compatible with the drive, this
info was pulled from:

http://www.sony.co.jp/sd/ProductsPark/Professional/DataMedia/Others/DDScj.html

Otter one last thing the above Amanda info, Sony info etc. was all available
from google http://www.google.com its a pretty nice search engine, try
checking it out.  Search string used: 'Exabyte FS10G'.

						-DAL-

--
Dylan A. Loomis                             v: +1 415.293.4702
Infrastructure                              f: +1 415.541.9798