Date:      Thu, 21 Jun 2001 14:16:57 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Nick Rogness <nick@rogness.net>
To:        Rick Hamell <hamellr@heorot.1nova.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Secondary DNS

On Thu, 21 Jun 2001, Rick Hamell wrote:

> 	What is the best way to setup secondary DNS? I have DSL w/ a
> static IP in my firewall/router. That machine is setup as the primary
> DNS server for my domain. Can I simply setup a 2nd machine inside the
> firewall to be my secondary? Or do I need a static IP for it also?

	It really depends on what you are trying to do.  But for most
	purposes no, you don't need to have a static IP internally to do
	it.  Setup your masters list on your secondary and you should be
	OK.  If you add firewalling on the primary or ACL's you may run
	into problems.  There are other situations that you might run into
	as well...but like I said, it depends on what you are trying to
	accomplish.

Nick Rogness <nick@rogness.net>
 - Keep on Routing in a Free World...
  "FreeBSD: The Power to Serve!"