Date:      Wed, 30 Sep 1998 12:05:38 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Device Drivers for Linux and Intel's annoucement

Jordan:

With all due respect, I think you are being too conciliatory. FreeBSD
*is* falling behind. (Where's the CAM support for all those SCSI
host adapters? Where's a production-level version of SMP?)
Worse still, Walnut Creek seems to be doing just about ZIP to promote
FreeBSD, in the face of a groundswell of publicity for Linux. It
had the chance to be Red Hat before Red Hat existed, and blew it.

This neglect at a crucial time could reduce FreeBSD to a weakly
supported, largely ignored, niche OS without anywhere near critical
mass.

My gut feeling -- and my gut has a pretty darn good track record when
it comes to industry trends -- is that it's a do-or-die situation
RIGHT NOW. FreeBSD needs some serious leadership, advocacy, and
investment ASAP. The ball is rolling around aimlessly on the field;
who's gonna pick up the fumble and run for the goal line?

--Brett