Date:      Fri, 08 Dec 2000 17:26:19 +0100
From:      Christoph Sold <so@server.i-clue.de>
To:        "Jack Juil Harris, Jr." <me@jharris.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CVSup vs. Script upgrade.

"Jack Juil Harris, Jr." schrieb:

> What is easier, CVSup or the Script ugrade that comes with a newer version
> of FreeBSD.
>
> I have a 4.0Release box that I want to go 4.2 stable.  Should I CVSup to
> 4.2Stable or do the upgrade that comes with the boot disks and CD-Rom to get
> to 4.2Release.

It's a matter of taste. I personally like the idea to compile the world
and the kernel after CVSuping the Stable sources. OTOH, sometimes there
are pitfalls on the road: Make sure to read and *understand*
/usr/src/UPDATING (obviously) *before* you attempt to do it. Having a
machine not booting after an update is a common experience after not
reading this file.

Doing a binary update (/stand/sysinstall -> update) isn't less risky,
though: this one just drops the binaries where they belong. If you
forget to update /dev entires or do not adjust the configuration files,
you're in for a nasty surprise, too.

The reason why I prefer the CVSup method is easy: a full
buildworld/installworld/buildkernel/installkernel cycle lasts several
hours on my lowly P-133. More than enough time to read all the new
material accompanying the new version. When the build completes, I have
finished reading ;)

HTH
-Christoph Sold