Date:      Mon, 5 Aug 1996 15:11:50 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Stephen Hovey <shovey@buffnet.net>
To:        John Clark <jc@netview.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: disklabel? What a joke!

On Mon, 5 Aug 1996, John Clark wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am trying to add my first disk to a FreeBSD system.  If I am not mistaken
> it appears that one must: fdisk, disklabel, then newfs the disk.  If this is
> true, then this part of FreeBSD is a joke.  I thought the Linux utility was
> bad, but at least it is useable.  Has anyone ever successfully added a disk
> like this?

Non that I know of - what I do is a phoney install - I copy all of /etc
out - use the boot diskette and say Im installing over NFS, but give it a
dummy nfs path.  When it hits that point, its formatted my new disk.  I
reboot, chmod the /etc back to what it should be, copy my saved /etc back in.

It is not a good way to do things but nothing else works for me.