Date:      Wed, 17 Jan 2001 01:51:45 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        andy@chantrill.freeserve.co.uk (Andy Chantrill)
Cc:        freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: APIC

> Hey,
>
> A few questions about smp (I'm new to this gig):
>
> i) What is APIC?

Advanced Programmable Interrupt Controller.  Your processor
has one, for each processor you have, and your I/O chipset
has at least one.

For more information, you should probably look at the Intel
Multiprocessing specification, version 1.4 or better.

It's basically Intel's way of getting a patent and externalizing
the SMP interprocessor arbitration logic, so tho no clone
vendors can create SMP systems which are compatible, without
licensing the patent.  That's why all the clone vendors got
together and created "OpenAPIC".

> ii) What is the difference between "APIC" and "APIC -mapped" in
> my Compaq Proliant BIOS?

You would have to ask Compaq, to be absolutely sure.; it could
mean anything, really.

> iii) Which should I be using?

In general terms, whatever it says you should use for UnixWare
is usually conservative enough to work with BSD, which likes
to cut things pretty close to the glass (that is, BSD has some
pretty high expectations of the hardware having been built to
specification correctly).

My suggestion would be "leave it alone, unless it doesn't work,
in which case, use whatever works, and post about it to this
list, so it will be saved in the archives for the next person".

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.