Date:      Sat, 16 Oct 1999 21:50:52 +0100
From:      Richard Morte <ric@sinclairassoc.force9.co.uk>
To:        ATeslik@aol.com
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Win/FreeBSD network

ATeslik@aol.com wrote:

> Hello List,
>
>         I have 2 machines, 1 is BSD, 1 is win95. They can't ping each other,
> but the bsd box comes up in Network Nieghborhood. What's going on? Is it not
> possible to ping a windows machine from a unix box? They are on the same hub
> via UTP. IPs are 192.168.1.x and netmasks are same (255.255.255.0). No ipfw
> or routed running. Does anyone out there have a small network like this that
> mabye I can bounce a few questions off you? Thanks in advance!

I have just configured a similar network after much pain, grief and a
lot of help from the mailing list - but not forgetting my own
stupidity...

If the FreeBSD box appear in Network Neighborhood then to two machines
*are* talking. Presumably you can mount Windows shares successfully
using:

  smbclient \\\\<remote_machine_name>\\<share_name>

But just what are you pinging? By name or IP address? If it's by name
have you set up the names/IP addresses in Windows/hosts? - and do you
have a similar etc/hosts file in FreeBSD?

Ric