Date:      Thu, 25 Jan 2001 16:17:11 +1100
From:      Andrew Sinclair <syncnet@ihug.com.au>
To:        "Ming Tang" <mtang@prairienet.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: One file in /usr/bin is missing

On Thursday 25 January 2001 11:48, you wrote:
> Hi -
>
> I accidentally deleted/modified a file 'troff' which is needed for
> man to work while I am doing sysinstall. I am on FreeBSD Release 4.2.
>
> Could anybody tell me how or where to download a single bin file or anyway
> for me to just compile one from its source cose?
>

> Ming

1) If you have the FreeBSD 4.2-RELEASE CD-ROM, mount it and skip to step 3.

2) Confirm you have the binary distribution for 4.2-RELEASE. If not, create a
folder named 4.2-RELEASE/bin and download all the files from the following
URL to that folder:

  ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/4.2-RELEASE/bin

3) Once you have the files, try the following commands:

  $ su

Use "/cdrom" or "4.2-RELEASE/bin" depending on how you retrieved the files:
  # cd /cdrom

  # cat bin/bin.?? | tar -zxvf - -C / usr/bin/troff

This may take a while since tar has to search the combined contents of all
bin.?? files for this file.

As for compiling from sources, see the following URL for more information:
   http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/cutting-edge.html

Also try the following port by Jordan Hubbard:
   net/cvsupit

(be warned, sources can save time at the expense of disk space! ;-)

--

Regards, Andrew Sinclair (syncman@ihug.com.au)