Date:      Thu, 20 Jun 2002 08:36:43 -0600
From:      "jogegabsd" <jogegabsd@myrealbox.com>
To:        "Leo Huang" <hlbgz@yahoo.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Problem in Installing FreeBSD 4.6

> Hi,
>
> I tried to install 4.6 on my Laptop, Compaq Presario
> 1700 XL461. I meet a problem when I was setting the
> XFree86 Server 4.2.0.
>
> When I used the xf86cfg to config my graphic card, ATI
> Rage 128 Mobil, I couldn't find any ATI graphic card
> in the card list. But I noticed that the driver is
> "ati", which is exactly the same as what
> http://www.freebsd.org said. But however, when I used
> "startx" and tried to start X Windows, KDE, it always
> reported the video card error.
>
> I want to know how to solve this problem? Why my
> graphic card was not on the list? I can use FreeBSD
> 4.5 with KDE very well, unless it doesn't support my
> sound card, which is not important.

I had the same problem with my compaq 1700T.
Try the "XFree86 -configure" command. This will generate you
an XFree configuration file with the exact Video Card
Configuration, even with DRI(I think), the move this file
to the /etc/X11/ and edit it to add the extra features you
want. Depth, Resolution, etc.
Any other problem in you laptop, don't hesitate and mail me,
I'll be glad to help.

HTH

Gerardo Amaya