Date:      Fri, 10 Nov 2000 01:17:55 +0000
From:      John Murphy <john253@crosswinds.net>
To:        emcgough@bbnow.net (Edward McGough)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Install Failure

Edward McGough wrote:

>Here is what I know so far:
>
>1)  I go through the install and select everything correctly, with a =
minimal
>install for a user.
>
>2)  It gets to the part where it copies the files from the CD to the =
system
>and fails at the end
>
>3)  The error message it gives is:  MAKEDEV Returned non-zero status.
>
>4)  While checking the other terminal (i put it in debug) here are some =
the
>last couple of lines up to the error:
>
>Debug: Notify: Remaking all devices...Please Wait
>Debug: Executing command 'cd /dev; sh MAKEDEV all'
>MAKEDEV: 762: Syntax Error: ")" unexpected (expecting ";;")
>Debug: Command 'cd /dev; sh MAKEDEV all' returns status of 2

I have 4.1 working fine.  My /dev/MAKEDEV has these 3 lines for 761-763:
    *)
        echo bad unit for media changer in: $i
        ;;

Whenever I've had syntax errors of this kind it has been due to the file
(MAKEDEV in your case) having ^Ms on the end of lines caused by me =
editing
the file in MSwindows and forgetting to save it in UNIX format...

>5)  When i acknowledge that the system had error and set the root =
password
>and time zone (which i have to do manually) and reboot the system i am
>getting the following error:
>
>Mounting root from UFS: /dev/ad0s1a
>panic: allocbuf: buffer too small

As MAKEDEV has stopped prematurely I'm not surprised.

>Then the system tries to sync the disks and ends up with a fatal trap =
error.

>Does anyone have any idea what is going on.  I am assuming that the =
install
>is failing when trying to make devices from the /dev directory, but, =
what
>can I do about that or am I even going down the right road.
>
>The system has an unknown motherboard (TX Pro chipset).  It has one IDE =
hard
>disk in it with an SMC Nic card, (which works cause I installed via FTP =
from
>my bsd box).  Other than a floppy that is it.
>
>If anyone can help me out please do so as I am stumped.

Well, as you're installing it on a friends pc I presume you have a
working system of your own.  Therefore you could put his/her drive
in your pc and do a minimal install there, and then swap the drive
back to his.  Even though your hardware may be quite different, it
will (probably) work!

HTH
John.