Date:      Wed, 27 Mar 2002 22:11:21 +0100
From:      Paul Everlund <tdv94ped@cs.umu.se>
To:        Sean O'Neill <sean@seanoneill.info>
Cc:        Peter Ulrich Kruppa <root@pukruppa.de>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Stupid but I don't know what this is - top-posting ???

Sean O'Neill wrote:

> At 08:56 PM 3/27/2002 +0000, Peter Ulrich Kruppa wrote:
> >I always thought "topposting" meant to post on top of someone's
> >message - the way I do now. But perhaps I am wrong. I am not a
> >native speaker of the english language.
>
> Yeah, I've learned my lesson - thanks.  No need for anyone else to reply --
> thanks :)

Maybe top postings should be avoided because of this very simple reason:

When you speak to someone, asking a question, you often do not get the ans-
wer before you've asked the question. People can not yet read minds, though
some people claims they can. Also, in a conversation, you say something, and
then the other person says something, and so on... This can also be applied
here, although your first message will be a monologue, but the reply will
be of the form of a dialogoue, putting the reply text at the right places.

By intuition, not top-posting, follows the rules for a "normal" conversation.

Also, as someone mentioned, it's a bit easier to follow someones line of
thinking, if putting text where it belongs.

Maybe this is the reason for not top-post? At least it's a very intuitive one.

Just some thoughts running through my head, but I might be wrong. :-)

Best regards,
Paul