Date:      Sat, 1 Aug 1998 11:31:32 +1200
From:      "Dan Langille" <junkmale@xtra.co.nz>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   DHCP configuration (was "changes to file are lost")

I've renamed the thread as the topic seems to have deviated slightly...<grin>

On 31 Jul 98, at 13:42, Doug White wrote:

> On Fri, 31 Jul 1998, Dan Langille wrote:
>
> > Bummer.  OK.  What should I be looking at in order to automagically
> > amend the contents?  In brief here's what it contains followed what I
> > want it to contain:
> >
> > search myisp.com
> > nameserver 11.22.33.44
> > nameserver 11.22.33.45
> >
> > -----
> >
> > domain mydomain.com
> > nameserver 10.0.0.1		# my min-dns server
> > nameserver 11.22.33.44
> > nameserver 11.22.33.45
> >

> > Any suggestions?
>
> Yes -- you can add a `prepend' statement to add that in, I think:
>
> prepend {
>  domain-name "mydomain.com";
>  domain-name-servers 10.0.1.4;
> }
>
> Add that to /etc/dhclient.conf and it should fix you up.  See the
> dhclient.conf manpage for details.

Ahhh.  Thanks.  I'm finding the manual confusing and can't find any good
examples.  The prepend command as shown above, won't work for me, despite
it matching what is said in the man pages.  The error I get is "expecting
identifer after option keyword".  This is disconcerting not to mention
disapointing.

However, if I add single prepend commands to /etc/dhclient.conf before the
interface "ep0" command, I do get partial success.  Here's what I supply
and what I get:

prepend domain-name "mydomain.com";
prepend domain-name-servers 10.0.0.1;

gives:

search mydomain.commyisp.com
nameserver 10.0.0.10
nameserver 11.22.33.44	# my ISP
nameserver 11.22.33.45	# my ISP

This is strange.  There are references in the man pages that I can request
that the DHCP server not send me certain information (i.e. the search
statement), but it is not clear to me how to tell it that.

How do I eliminate the search command, replace it with "domain
mydomain.com" and not have it suffixed with "myisp.com".

Another issue is that after initiating dhclient edo, I must manullay redo
my ed1 details via ifconfig ed1 10.0.0.5 255.255.255.0.  Is that to be
expected?

BTW: I notice that if I change the 'interface "epo" {' to be 'interface
"ed0" {', things still work.  It's always been ep0, and worked.  I would
have thought it should have to be ed0 in order to work.

--
Dan Langille
DVL Software Limited