Date:      Sat, 23 Oct 1999 16:26:21 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Vincent Poy <vince@venus.GAIANET.NET>
To:        cjclark@home.com
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 3.3-RELEASE passwd issue

On Sat, 23 Oct 1999, Crist J. Clark wrote:

> Vincent Poy wrote,
> > On Sat, 23 Oct 1999, Crist J. Clark wrote:
> >
> > > Vincent Poy wrote,
> > > [snip]

> > > Oh, yeah. That's a know "gotcha." Once you set the password to one
> > > format, the only way to change it is to go in manually with vipw.
> > >
> > > But to the original problem, those 13 character passwords you said you
> > > originally had, the DES ones, should work fine.
> >
> > 	Yeah, thanks for fixing the mixup....  But what's the maximum
> > characters allowed for MD5 and DES for passwords?
>
> I believe the maximum number of characters you can type in is 128.
> However, for DES I know only the first 8 characters are
> significant. From a _really_ quick look at crypt_md5() source, it
> looks like it uses 16. Is that right? I am sure MD5 uses more.

	Hmmm, I think MD5 does use more except is there a reason to not
install DES at all?

Cheers,
Vince - vince@MCESTATE.COM - vince@GAIANET.NET           ________   __ ____
Unix Networking Operations - FreeBSD-Real Unix for Free / / / / |  / |[__  ]
GaiaNet Corporation - M & C Estate                     / / / /  | /  | __] ]
Beverly Hills, California USA 90210                   / / / / / |/ / | __] ]
HongKong Stars/Gravis UltraSound Mailing Lists Admin /_/_/_/_/|___/|_|[____]