Date:      Wed, 11 Apr 2001 14:00:26 +0200
From:      Roberto Nunnari <nunnari@die.supsi.ch>
To:        Drew Derbyshire <software@kew.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Security Announcements?

stable is not pre-beta.
http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/current-stable.html

...cut and paste from the above:

19.2.2. Staying Stable with FreeBSD

If you are using FreeBSD in a production environment and want to make
sure you have the latest fixes from the -CURRENT branch, you want to be
running -STABLE. This is the tree that -RELEASEs are branched from when
we are putting together a new release. For example, if you have a copy
of 3.4-RELEASE, that is really just a ``snapshot'' from the -STABLE
branch that we put on CDROM. In order to get any changes merged into
-STABLE after the -RELEASE, you need to ``track'' the -STABLE branch.
19.2.2.1. What is FreeBSD-STABLE?

FreeBSD-STABLE is our development branch for a more low-key and
conservative set of changes intended for our next mainstream release.
Changes of an experimental or untested nature do not go into this branch
(see FreeBSD-CURRENT).

Drew Derbyshire wrote:

> Ben Smithurst <ben@FreeBSD.org> wrote ...
>

>> Well if you want the latest security fixes you shouldn't be running a
>> -release anyway, that's that the -stable branch is for.
>

> One should not expect production servers to be running pre-beta code.
> Running -stable means you get *everything*, and that's not what a production
> server owner wants or needs.
>
> (FreeBSD needs a reasonable patch utility (ala Redhat Linux's up2date) for
> semi-automated patch management -- but this ground has been covered before.
> I'm not trying to open that can of worms here.)
>
> -ahd-

               Roberto Nunnari -software engineer-
                 mailto:nunnari@die.supsi.ch
  Scuola Universitaria Professionale della Svizzera Italiana
            Dipartimento di Informatica e Elettronica
                   http://www.die.supsi.ch
  SUPSI-DIE
  Via Cantonale                        tel: +41-91-6108557
  6928 Manno                 """
  Switzerland               (o o)