Date:      Thu, 18 Jan 2001 11:03:03 +0100 (CET)
From:      Marco Masotti <masotti@mclink.it>
To:        eliyanah@techie.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ipf/ipnatd vs ipfw/natd ?

> ==========================
> Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 14:52:35 -0700
> From: Janet Sullivan <eliyanah@techie.com>
> To: Marco Masotti <masotti@mclink.it>
> Subject: Re: ipf/ipnatd vs ipfw/natd ?
> ==========================
>
> Er, I've used ipnat/ipf with userland ppp on FreeBSD and I've
> never had
> to do an ipf -y.  I'm using OpenBSD these days for firewalling
> purposes,
> but I seem to remember the trick to running ppp with ipf/ipnat
> on
> FreeBSD was to simply have your startup scripts start 'ppp -auto
> -quiet
> WHATEVER' _before_ ipf/ipnat were started, and just using tun0
> like a
> normal interface in your ipf/ipnat rules.  By default I think
> FreeBSD
> used to (might still?) start ppp after ipf/ipnat, which didn't
> work so
> well - but just fire up your favorite text editor and you can
> fix that.

Yep, I'll try your way also.
In fact, my PPP is run from within a PPTP instance, so I'll have to spot a suitable location where to run the pptp script *before* the ipf/ipnat rules arte loaded. Also, in the same time, I'll have also to ensure critically that loading those filters be ok when the PPP  connection is up and operational.
In case I get something interesting I'll let you know.

Thanks,

--
Marco