Date:      Fri, 19 Apr 1996 12:27:10 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de (Christoph P. Kukulies)
Cc:        freebsd-current@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: gzipped executables

> Is anyone working on fixing the broken gzip executable feature in
> -current?

It's a cache interaction.  Pentium caches are written back inside
the cache queue depth, whereas pre-Pentium processors have
immutable cache queues.

It can be fixed by incorporating 32 NOP's (until the next processor
revision, anyway), in part of the code.

This is a kludge, but, of course, it works... of such ugly working
things are permanent warts grown.

Alternately, it can be caused by faulty writeback/invalidate hardware
on an external L2 cache.  Needless to say, I don't have any hardware
with broken L2 cache interaction, so I couldn't test even a kludge
if that's where it's falling down on you.  Typically, binvd'ing
the cache line range impacted immediately following a load and
again immediately following a buffer decompression would *probably*
fix the problem.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---