Date:      Sun, 23 Apr 2000 21:40:26 -0400
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        Tracey <tp-king@dircon.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mount problems

On Sun, Apr 23, 2000 at 08:37:59PM +0100, Tracey wrote:
> I foolishly ran makedev all, now I cannot boot up. During fsck at boot I get
> error messages wd1s1f (e, & b) no such file or directory. It then drops me
> into single user mode, so I try to mount the root for read/write "mount -uw
> /" and get the following error message : "/dev/wd1a on /:specified device
> does not match mounted device", I have no idea what to do! I was planning
> (once I had mounted /) to perform makedev for wd1*.

Get out your fixit.flp. Boot kern.flp, mfsroot.flp, and then choose
the "Fixit" option. Or if you have, but a doubt it from the tone of
your message, use your own custom boot floppy. Note that using MAKEDEV
from the fixit floppy is a bit tricky. MAKEDEV expects /sbin/mknod,
but that's not where it is when you boot up to fixit mode.

What exactly did you break here, by the way? Did you move a disk?
Delete entries from /dev and not rebuild them? Botch a 3.4 to 4.0
upgrade?