Date:      Sun, 10 Oct 1999 20:49:31 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jobaldwi@vt.edu>
To:        Ruben van Staveren <ruben@luna.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: splash/AGP card weirdness ?

On 10-Oct-99 Ruben van Staveren wrote:
> It can mean two things:
> a. the FireGL does not have a VESA compliant bios (or none at all)
>    and that is strange as a friend of mine got his PCI (???) FireGL
>    card working with the splash boot screen.

The VESA BIOS for the AGP card may require a software driver to fully
enable the VESA graphics modes.  If so, you aren't going to be able to
use them for splash screens.

> b. it is an AGP/splash `compatibility' problem.

Nope, my AGP Matrox G200 works great.

> Clues anyone ?
>
> Regards,
>       Ruben
>
> p.s.
>       the other weird thing is that I was even unable to change the
> console
>       to e.g. 80x60 with vidcontrol :P

You need to load the 8x16 fonts for this to work.  Check the
vidcontrol(1) and rc.conf(5) man pages.

---

John Baldwin <jobaldwi@vt.edu> -- http://www.cslab.vt.edu/~jobaldwi/