Date:      Mon, 22 May 2000 00:20:04 +0000
From:      Harry Woodward-Clarke <Harry.Woodward-Clarke@S1.com>
To:        "Mark A. Hummel" <mhumm@ispchannel.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Are Multiple XWindows Possible?

G'day Mark,

> I am currently using KDE.  Is it possible to install and use
> another
> Xwindow like XFCE3 (www.xfce.org) in addition to KDE?  If so,

Under normal circumstances, most would be inclined to say 'no' - unless
you have a second physical display / monitor to actually throw the
output to.

> what command,
> other than startx would I use to load it?

However... vnc (it's in the ports collection) comes to the rescue quite
nicely here. Typically I use it from home to access my system/account(s)
and throw the vnc display back to home - *but* there are times when I
will fire up NetscapeNavigator from home via vnc, and the come in on
Monday and find there is a lock-file stopping me from starting it up.
Ok, I could $kill and then rm the lock file, but easier is to use vnc on
the local display, attach, and shutdown NetNav gracefully.

My primary (:0) display has KDE, while the vnc display (:2) has Window
Maker.

(p.s. I'm looking at pulling OpenMotif and using that r.s.n. :')

hth,

haxxa