Date:      Mon, 2 Dec 2019 21:33:13 -0800
From:      Doug Hardie <bc979@lafn.org>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Updating from 11.2 to 11.3 on a headless machine

> On 30 November 2019, at 12:50, Paul Schmehl <pschmehl_lists@tx.rr.com> =
wrote:
>=20
> On 11/30/19 10:27 AM, Joe A. wrote:
>=20
>> Hello...
>>=20
>> I have a machine that I moved into a headless with no keyboard
>> role and now I wish to update it to 11.3 from 11.2-RELEASE-p9.
>>=20
>> Since it's headless, and it seems that FreeBSD update works on
>> a headless machine, I plan to use it as outlined in the
>> handbook in chapter 23.2.
>>=20
>> First question: am I correct in understanding that FreeBSD update
>> will work on an headless machine, as distinct from svnlite and a
>> build from source?
> Yes, you are correct. I maintain three servers, and all three are =
headless. I update them routinely over ssh. The only downside is if the =
server fails to reboot properly, you have to make a trip to the hosting =
company site to complete the update. Usually, that does not happen.
>> In section 23.2.3. Performing Major and Minor Version Upgrades,
>> this appears: freebsd-update -r 9.1-RELEASE upgrade. On my
>> desktop with a monitor and keyboard, I use snvlite; so when
>> moving between major and minor upgrades, I use svnlite switch.
>>=20
>> Second question: is it the case that 'freebsd-update -r'
>> is a substitute for 'snvlite switch'?
> I've never used snvlite, so I can't say. But freebsd-update works fine =
for me.

I also have a number of remote headless machines.  Freebsd-update has =
generally worked cleanly for me.  However, I have encountered situations =
where the bootstrap process would just hang  Generally that has been the =
result of a typo in rc.conf.  It's a 3-4 hour drive (longer in rush =
hours) to the farthest server.  What we did was get a Rhapsberry Pi 3 =
and load FreeBSD on it.  I set it up to connect to the internet and also =
a serial port connected to the serial port of the server.  Now I can =
access the server's console which makes it a lot easier when problems do =
occur.  SSH to the PI, cu to the server.  It will not help when the =
power gets disconnected.  That requires a human to plug it back in.  =
That is usually not an issue during a system upgrade though.  I don't =
have to use the Pi connection very often, but when it's needed it is a =
real time saver - not to mention the gas that otherwise would be =
involved.

-- Doug