Date:      Thu, 20 Jun 2002 09:46:02 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
To:        "F.Xavier Noria" <fxn@retemail.es>
Cc:        Pascal Giannakakis <CapM@gmx.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Oracle 8 clients on FreeBSD?

In the last episode (Jun 20), F.Xavier Noria said:
> On Thu, 20 Jun 2002 11:41:24 +0200 (MEST)
> Pascal Giannakakis <CapM@gmx.net> wrote:
> : does anybody of you use Oracle 8 in a production-env? I'm so sick
> : of my SuSE-Linux workstation here at work, i could throw this crap
> : out of the window... I want to install FreeBSD, however, i need
> : Oracle 8 clients. Will it work without problems, if i follow the
> : instructiuons in the handbook?
>
> As for the clients, I uncompressed a Linux tarball under /home/oracle
> and worked fine out of the box, which means here that sqlplus could
> connect to a remote database.
>
> Take into account, however, that FreeBSD native executables cannot
> use Linux libraries and there is no OCI library for FreeBSD.  So if
> you are going to need to write in that machine, say, a Perl program
> that has to use the database you'll have a hard time.  I installed
> Red Hat's perl but couldn't build DBD::Oracle.  I needed to switch to
> Debian at work because of that.

I've always wondered if the Oracle JDBC driver could be used natively
under FreeBSD; Oracle claims they are "100% pure Java", so you should
be able to set up some sort of C/Perl/Whatever -> ODBC -> JDBC ->
Oracle link, with all but the Oracle component being native FreeBSD.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com