Date:      Fri, 29 May 1998 10:53:51 -0400 (EDT)
From:      woods@zeus.leitch.com (Greg A. Woods)
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SKIP problems

[ On Thu, May 28, 1998 at 15:47:00 (-0400), Angelos D. Keromytis wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: SKIP problems
>
> Not that many platforms use SKIP. IPsec is the IP security standard,
> and not SKIP.

"may become"  ;-)

(So far as I can see it's just a set of out-dated RFCs that will
hopefully be replaced by an updated set (currently in draft status) in
the future, and though it's on the standards track as I understand it,
there's a fair distance to go before it's written in the hardest stone
the IETF writes anything in.)

> No point supporting a bad standard-wannabe.

Well, that depends entirely on the relative merits of the respective
"standard" and non-standard technologies.  I sure would support moving a
non-standard into the standards track if it is superior to the currently
proffered "standard".

Not that I want to make any technical appraisals on the pros and cons of
any of the topics being discussed here -- I'm just trying to figure out
all of this stuff too, and it makes me seriously mad when companies with
money to burn start pushing things by making untrue claims about them,
which is exactly what I've been seeing w.r.t. IPsec and ISAKMP.  I think
this particular topic is far more too important to make a VHS/BETA
example out of it.

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 443-1734      VE3TCP      <gwoods@acm.org>      <robohack!woods>