Date:      Fri, 08 Oct 2004 14:57:12 -0400
From:      Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        Andrew Moran <amoran@forsythia.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: benchmarking a process

Andrew Moran wrote:
> This isn't specific to freebsd I suppose.. but does anyone know any good
> programs to measure how long a process took, how much memory it
> requested, and how much network traffic it send/received?

See "man getrusage" and "man gprof" for the first two questions.

Measuring how much network traffic something sends is more complicated:
counters kept at the application-level see different numbers than what
actually goes out on the wire, due to collisions, lost packets, etc.  Using a
network sniffer or IPFW rule to monitor the traffic is likely to give a more
meaningful result, depending on what you want to do.

--
-Chuck