Date:      Thu, 11 Oct 2001 15:32:31 -0400
From:      Louis LeBlanc <leblanc+freebsd@smtp.ne.mediaone.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Way Off Topic: Bookmarks

On 10/11/01 01:47 PM, Mike Meyer sat at the `puter and typed:

> Thank you. Yes, I can add things automatically from my primary
> browser. I use w3m, which is the only browser I know of that supports
> the concept of "open another browser on a page". One of the "other"
> browsers is a script that accepts the URL on the command line, digs
> the title up over the network, and adds the url and title to the
> database.
>
> Any scriptable browser could do this kind of thing, though the only
> scriptable browsers I know of are Amosaic, Ibrowse and AWeb, none of
> which run on Unix. In fact, this all started with Amosaic.

Hmm.  There must be a way to handle this from within Galeon, Mozilla,
or Netscrape.  Maybe some kind of kludge.  Maybe just a perl tool you
can just pass the URL to.  It could then grab the title and dump it to
the cgi handler at your site.

> If you read the paper, there's a *lot* of machinery behind the
> thing. Do you *really* want to install an SQL server and a language
> interpreter just to keep your bookmarks? I already had all this
> mechanism in place for other reasons - my web site search engine uses
> them (and is equally cool :-), for instance - so this wasn't a problem
> for me.

Yes, but I do already have PostgreSQL installed, it's just not doing
much right now.  I think I also have MySQL here, but it's equally
loaded.

> I'm also not sure how the py_apache module would be dealt with. It's
> not a port, and the port with that functionality doesn't build and
> would require rewriting the thing.

I have a /usr/ports/www/mod_python port.  As far as I can tell, it's
the same idea, just a different implementation.

> If you really want, I might be able to find the original versions that
> kept text in a page. I'm pretty sure I've got the ARexx version, and
> there are rexx interpreters in the ports tree. I'm not so sure about
> the version that I used on Unix before I write the current version.

I still think perl will do this.  Even a secure connection would be
possible to connect to a secure server.

I am interested, very interested, but I'm afraid I don't have any more
hands to juggle projects right now :)  I will bookmark your site and
keep it in the back of my mind.  I couldn't ask you to take time to
dig things up for me right now though.  But thanks!

Cheers.
Lou
--
Louis LeBlanc       leblanc@acadia.ne.mediaone.net
http://acadia.ne.mediaone.net                 ԿԬ

discoveries, is not "Eureka!" (I found it!) but "That's funny ..."
    -- Isaac Asimov