Date:      Sat, 2 May 1998 21:02:13 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Hugh Blandford <hugh@island.net.au>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: UPSd & APC with ShareUPS

On Fri, 1 May 1998, Hugh Blandford wrote:

> I have an APC SmartUPS 3000 and a ShareUPS.  I have a NT box currently
> plugged into the master port on the ShareUPS running Powerchute.  This box
> doesn't run 24x7 unlike the FreeBSD boxes ;)  Anyway I have been trying to
> get the UPSd from the ports collection to run on the FreeBSD machines.

I know of someone working on the 3000, it should run out-of-box.

> I have tried a cable as per the spec on
> http://www.cre8tivegroup.com/upsd.html and the APC cable and none seem to
> work with my configuration.

The NT box's cable should work fine.  I tried building my own too and
didn't have much luck -- I finally had to con one out of APC.

>  I have tried using the upsd.conf.sample file, renamed as the
> configuration file and it says that it cannot switch to smart mode.  I
> have also tried the default config and it says that it fails the
> self-test.

Make sure you can communicate with the UPS using cu -- if you can't do
anything there then you certainly can't with upsd.

> Can someone please enlighten me and if possible send me a .conf that works
> (privately :) for 240V?  Is the 3 wire cable all I need as per the above
> URL or should I be running with a cable configured exactly the same as the
> APC one?

The default setup is for a 240V APC; I had to hack upsd for 120v
operation.

> On another note I've set up the ShareUPS so that it runs till 2 min warning
> and then it shuts down the UPS so it cycles the power on startup.  Is there
> a way to set up the .conf to make an impossibly large wait for the shutdown
> time and when the daemon receives the 2 min warning triggers a shutdown.

How does the UPS signal a `2 minute warning', exactly?  You just have to
set up a handler for that signal and react appropriately.

If you want to do anything in the interim (when you get the initial
on-battery signal) then reset the handler for line-fail.  You can take the
`after 180' out to disable the timeout.  Grab
ftp://gdi.uoregon.edu/pub/upsd.2.0.1.6.1.tgz; it has a 120v config file
and manpages for upsd.conf.