Date:      Fri, 13 Aug 1999 13:03:27 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bill/Carolyn Pechter <pechter@shell.monmouth.com>
To:        avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au (Darren Reed)
Subject:   Re: "Secure-FreeBSD" Idea

> In some mail from dave, sie said:
> >

> > On Fri, 13 Aug 1999, Michael Richards wrote:
> > >
> > > I was toying with this idea too. People often say when comparing FreeBSD
> > > and linux that "FreeBSD is harder to install." Although I don't agree with
> > > that statement, I had to take note on how easy my install of BeOS went.
> > > Basically I popped the CD in, selected the partition and hit install. It
> > > whirled rebooted and presto, I was running Be.
> >
> > I recently installed Redhat and FreeBSD...I am familiar with both, but the
> > Redhat install took 3 runs through the install process to get right, and
> > FreeBSD took only one...Granted, they were minor problems in redhat that
> > most people wouldn't come across, but it is still one valid experience of
> > mine...(The FreeBSD install was more flexible than the redhat one).
>
> Be careful when trying to compare people's experience with Linux installs.
> "Linux" is rather obscure in this subject - what you need to know is whether
> or not it is Debian or Caldera or Redhat or Slackware or Suse or ...
>
> I've not seen the most recent RedHat install, but 5.x and earlier were a
> lot harder to install, if you were using SCSI or had a device anywhere but
> a preprogrammed slot, than FreeBSD.  Caldera's latest is meant to be much
> better.  If anyone can make a Unix install better than Solaris's, I'd be
> very impressed.
>
> Darren

This is a resend.  Looks like my dynamic dns is blocked at the freebsd
mail server...

Perhaps -chat might be a better place than -security

> On Fri, 13 Aug 1999, Michael Richards wrote:
> >
> > I was toying with this idea too. People often say when comparing FreeBSD
> > and linux that "FreeBSD is harder to install." Although I don't agree with
> > that statement, I had to take note on how easy my install of BeOS went.
> > Basically I popped the CD in, selected the partition and hit install. It
> > whirled rebooted and presto, I was running Be.
>
> I recently installed Redhat and FreeBSD...I am familiar with both, but the
> Redhat install took 3 runs through the install process to get right, and
> FreeBSD took only one...Granted, they were minor problems in redhat that
> most people wouldn't come across, but it is still one valid experience of
> mine...(The FreeBSD install was more flexible than the redhat one).
>
> --dave

Another data point.  I had the same problem with RedHat 5.x and 6.x.
FreeBSD, NetBSD and OpenBSD seemed to work more logically to me
with regards to fdisk (disk druid is almost worthless.)

Caldera OpenLinux 2.2 took two tries to get right but once
I figured out the one trick it was the easiest to do.

Great hardware discovery in Caldera 2.2.

I've been less than impressed with Solaris on Intel.

Bill