Date:      Thu, 12 May 2011 04:40:25 -0700
From:      mdf@FreeBSD.org
To:        Kostik Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, Lev Serebryakov <lev@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Does FreeBSD have replacement for posix_fadvice() or fcntl(F_RDADVISE)?

On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 4:17 AM, Kostik Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com> wrot=
e:
> On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 11:38:12AM +0400, Lev Serebryakov wrote:
>> Hello, Freebsd-hackers.
>>
>> =A0 =A0Does FreeBSD have some custom call, which can be used where Linux
>> =A0programs uses posix_fadvice() and DARWIN ones fcntl(F_RDADVISE)?
>>
>> =A0 =A0It is like madvise(2) but for file descriptors.
> No, it does not (and I think the function is spelled posix_fadvise()).
>
> mdf reserved the syscall slot for posix_fadvise in his recent work
> on posix_fallocate(). Might be, he could comment more.

Whoops, I replied bot forgot to reply-all.

Adding a stub for posix_fadvise() is on my list of things to do, since
we use it at $WORK in our custom filesystem, but the list is long and
spare time is short.

Nominally a technically correct implementation can do error checking
and then nothing.  Even after a stub is added to the OS, each
filesystem must implement a VOP to do the work.

Cheers,
matthew