Date:      Sun, 14 Jan 2001 17:22:35 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
To:        "Mark B. Withers" <mwithers@one.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FTP install of FreeBSD

Mark B. Withers wrote to freebsd-questions:

> I have a question.
>
> Has anybody done this?

Weekly :-)

> How does it work?

Very well!

> Does it take a long time with a DSL connection?

If I'm only doing a single install, I typically only install the base
system, ports, and a few sources and other small odds'n'ends during the
actual install (takes about 1/2 hour to download and ungzip on a good
day).

Then, once the base system is installed and rebooted, and I have many
virtual terminals to play with, I run /stand/sysinstall to start
downloading X as well as the extra distributions and installing ports.
While that's running, I go to another virtual terminal and start
configuring everything else.

If you have more time than I usually do, it is more straightforward to
simply install and configure everything you want at once.

> I've never tried it before, but sure am tempted with an older version
> of FreeBSD. Sendmail is nagging me. heh heh
>
> Mark

  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
  Network Administrator, Accounts

  #106-380 3120 8th St E - Saskatoon, SK - S7H 0W2

        Tel: 306-664-3600   Fax: 306-664-1161   Saskatoon