Date:      Mon, 4 Dec 2000 08:24:07 +0100
From:      Edwin Groothuis <mavetju@chello.nl>
To:        david@banning.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: increasing task performance question

On Mon, Dec 04, 2000 at 02:15:46AM -0500, David Banning wrote:
> Using an mp3 player on my 100mhz pentium (mp3blaster)
> causes sputtering - my machine is probably not fast enough.
> It only drops out maybe once per song -
>
> Isn't there a command that puts a greater percentage of the system
> resources into a single task?
>
> That would be useful during times when my only purpose for the
> machine is to play music in my house.

I managed to be able to play music on such an old machine with
starting mpg123 with the -2 option and lots of buffering. But on
the other hand, I had to start X with it also.

Man rtprio or man idprio should give you some help also.

Edwin

--
Edwin Groothuis   | Fatal Dimensions:
mavetju@chello.nl | http://fataldimensions.nl.eu.org/