Date:      Fri, 11 Sep 1998 14:21:02 -0700
From:      Jamie Lawrence <jal@ThirdAge.com>
To:        Jay Tribick <netadmin@fastnet.co.uk>, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Snob Art Genre <benedict@echonyc.com>
Subject:   Re: cat exploit

At 09:09 AM 9/11/98 +0100, Jay Tribick wrote:

>| > "rm /bin/cat"
>
>        ^- Not very practical, it would break a lot of scripts

Sigh. Most people noticed that I was being flip.

>| I'd like to hear a wider variety of opinions on the matter -- in
>| particular, I wonder if anyone still uses the feature for anything, and
>| if it's been exploited.  I don't understand why you're so dismissive
>| about it.

I'm dismissive of it because the behaviour has been known for a very,
very long time. It is defined behaviour, and no worse than a lot of
other gotchas that exist in *nix. I thought everyone learned about this
by having someone else annoy them with ^Gs until they figured it out.
Guess not.

>I think we've had enough replies on this thread - I still think it
>/may/ be exploitable if you had a . in your path and within the
>tarball was a file called xtermxterm.. but, let's drop it here
>before it gets out of hand :)

It is 'exploitable' in ways that have nothing to do with your $PATH.
Much in the same way shells are 'exploitable' because you can
compromise someone's account by convincing them to run an arbitrary
script you wrote (only more obscurely so).

>Anyone wants to reply to this, do it privately please.

I would have, if there hadn't been misconceptions to be cleared up.

-j