Date:      Fri, 8 Apr 2005 06:33:11 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
To:        Gerard.Moloney@thomson.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: backups

> Hi:
>
> I am looking for the correct backup procedure for my pc.
>
> kern.flp and mfsroot.flp: these two floppies I created on install as my
> cdrom cannot install from the cds.
> Are these in effect boot floppies should my system crash?

Sort of.  They are installation boot floppies.  But, they are not
a full rescue system as far as I know.

> What media should I backup to? Tape using dump?

If you have that.  Alternatively, if you have a spare disk that is big
enough and not used for anything else, you could use dump to back up
to that.   But, tape is still quite common - maybe most common.

> With these two floppies and the backup ought I be able to restore my
> system?

Yes.  But, it is a bit more complicated than that.  You would build
enough of the system by doing an install with them and then restoring
the dump over it, using it.   I don't know if there is any rescue
floppy now.

////jerry