Date:      Mon, 8 Jan 1996 17:17:48 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        davidg@root.com
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, gpalmer@westhill.cdrom.com, wosch@cs.tu-berlin.de, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: large files

> >Actually, John says it does.  As I stated in my followup to John, I
> >screwed up SHMEM and SHLIB thikning about mmap() as the underlying
> >implementation mechanism.
>
>    Time for me to correct something I said in my last response. Our current
> implementation of SYSVSHM does actually store it's data in a named anonymous
> memory region/object and it does this by using the internal version of "mmap".
> ...but his has nothing to do with supporting large files and doesn't in itself
> having anything to do with why SYSVSHM memory objects consume kernel VM.

Yah.  That's what triggered my personal "mmap" flag when he referenced
a 2G limit, and you know the rest.

> Anyway, I suppose I shouldn't have bothered responding to any of this. Sigh.

Well, not when you turn around and do exactly what you just gave me
hell for doing.  8-).

Your point from the last post that we are all human is well taken; I
think that anyone who relies on what another person says as "writ of God"
is making a mistake.  Any of us could have something wrong, and in
many cases we do, as a result of things changing out from under us
if there is no other reason.

Time to lighten up, everyone...

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org