Date:      Thu, 21 Dec 2000 09:44:34 -0500
From:      mysql-freebsd <mysql-freebsd@home.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Weird /var behavior or was I hacked?

Hi:

I found some pretty weird thing that i can't explain or solve so
I count on your help.

I recently noticed growth in the size of occupied space on /var.
Here is output from "df"

Filesystem  1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
<...>
/dev/da0s1h   1034159   766564   184863    81%    /var
<...>

In other words, out of about 1 GB partition 767 MB are filled.
On the other hand, I calculated total sum of all the files
in /var using two independent methods (ran ls -laR amd calculated
sum of sizes and tar'ed the whole patition and looked at the size
of the tar file). Both methods show that the sum of the
sizes of all the files in the partition comes to only 14 MB.

There is this huge difference between 767 MB reported occupied by df
and 14 MB of the sum of all teh files. Looks as if somebody got
in, made an invisible partition within /var.

Am I paranoid or missing something? Or both?

Thanks for your help,
A.H.