Date:      Sun, 26 Nov 2000 00:35:15 +0000 (GMT)
From:      "Walter C. Pelissero" <walter@pelissero.org>
To:        Keith Walker <kew@icehouse.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problem with USB printer

I investigated a little bit further the problem of the missing
characters at the beginning of the first printed page and it seems
it's solved adding 64 nulls (or whatever) at the end of the
initialization string.

That is:

printf "000\033\001@EJL 1284.4\n@EJL     \n0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000" | tr 0 '\0' > /dev/ulpt0

But the problem shows up again at the next page.  This printing ASCII
files.  Printing graphic stuff the problem doesn't show up.

Another weird thing is that if I append a formfeed at the end of the
ASCII file, the file doesn't get printed at all!  On the other hand if
I wait a while the file gets printed and then, at that point, I can
send a formfeed that makes the printer spit out the sheet of paper.

I can think of three cases:
  - the printer wasn't meant to be used for ASCII printouts because the
    firmware is buggy and works only with the provided drivers for
    Windoze and Mac (that is only graphics!)
  - the printer in USB mode needs a bidirectional protocol we
    don't support (the formfeed thing might be the symptom)
  - the forementioned init string is good to initialize the printer
    for graphic purposes but not for plain ASCII printing (?!)

At the moment to avoid endless problems I'm using the printer only for
graphics, converting even ASCII files if necesserary (apsfilter).

--
walter pelissero
http://www.pelissero.org