Date:      20 Jun 2002 09:59:00 -0500
From:      Kirk Strauser <kirk@strauser.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sendmail Spam RBL

At 2002-06-20T14:33:00Z, randy <randy@turbowarp.net> writes:

> Can it or is it really as difficult as they make it out to be?

No.  It's actually pretty easy, depending on how you've set up your
mailserver.  I'm using FreeBSD 4.6-STABLE.  Rather than writing a
sendmail.cf directly, I copied /etc/mail/freebsd.mc to
/etc/mail/<myhostname>.mc and edit it to my tastes.  Then it's just a matter
of cd'ing to /etc/mail and typing 'make; make install; make restart' to
generate a sendmail.cf file, copy it into place, and restart sendmail.  The
advantages of this are numerous:

  - Whenever FreeBSD updates some default mailsettings, incorporating them
    into my configuration is just a diff-and-patch.

  - Editing a .mc file is *way* easier than mucking about in `sendmail.cf'.

  - The FreeBSD maintainers went through all the trouble of setting up an
    easy-to-update framework, so you might as well use it.

So, the big question to you is: did you do something similar, or did you
hand-edit the sendmail.cf files?

> I just want to set up spam filter for "direct useage via DNS" ... for
> mail-abuse or ordb.

I added the lines:

  # DNSBL from http://www.ordb.org/
  FEATURE(dnsbl, `relays.ordb.org', `"550 Mail from " $&{client_addr} " rejected, see http://ordb.org/"')dnl

to /etc/mail/<myhostname>.  Then I typed `make; make install; make restart'
and the system worked.

> Do I simply add "5.123.89.192.relays.ordb.org. IN A 127.0.0.2" to my DNS
> record for each domain?  Do I need to do anything else?

What are you trying to do there?
--
Kirk Strauser
The Strauser Group - http://www.strausergroup.com/