Date:      Fri, 6 Sep 2002 13:08:14 +0930
From:      Brian Astill <bastill@sa.apana.org.au>
To:        listman100 <listman@diversetech.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Correct CPU and Systm Temparature for Athlon XP processors

On Wed, 28 Aug 2002 02:01, listman100 wrote:
> This maybe off topic and if so I apologize.
>
> I have a Gigabyte Mobo with an Athlon XP 1600 processor.  It is the
> retail unit with the factory heatsink and fan.  I also have the
> front(input) and rear(exhaust) case fans.  The problem that I'm having
> is that the constant temp in the case is ~46c/114f and the CPU is
> ~60c/140f.  Is that too hot for computer components and if so is there a
> better heat sink combo that you can recommend?  I run this server 24x7.
>
> Also has (2) SCSI drives, SCSI burner, and IDE CDrom

That case temperature is too high - would YOU like to live at 46c?
1.  What is the ambient temperature of the room the system lives in?
2. How hot are those SCSI drives?

My Athlon mobo provided book + CD with a VIA heat monitor app (Windoze <sigh>
- but Xmbmon works fine in FBSD <Yeah!>).
60c is WARNING! Bill Robinson, WARNING!  ie you are at the top end.
I have found my athlon is sensitive to ambient temperature - all is OK if the
room is below 25c, but not otherwise.

HTH

--
Regards,